segunda-feira, 8 de abril de 2019

Rays journal: How thinking less led to more hits for Willy Adames

SAN FRANCISCO — With just one hit in his first 27 at-bats of the season, Rays shortstop Willy Adames didn't know what to think.

So Saturday, coming off the bench, he decided not to think much at all.

And got two hits in three times up.

He said the difference was the change in mentality.

"I was not thinking a lot when I got to the box,'' Adames said. "I wasn't thinking of my hands, my feet. I was just seeing the ball and hitting it.''

Manager Kevin Cash said before the game that it was important they all remain positive about the situation.

"He'll be okay,'' Cash said. "Ideally you don't want to see a young player come out and struggle to start the season. But he's continuing to work, he's continuing to make plays on defense.

"We just need to put our arm around him and support him a little bit right now. It's not coming easy for him.''

Adames, obviously, hopes the showing was the start of something. "I think I needed a day like that to get my confidence back,'' he said. "Hopefully keep it going (Sunday).''

Record setter

Breaking Johnny Damon's 2011 team record for consecutive games reaching base on Friday and extending it to 41 on Saturday was a meaningful accomplishment for outfielder Tommy Pham.

"I like it because it's history,'' he said. "When you have a historical feat, they can never take that away from you. It's my second time doing something historic as part of an organization. (In 2017 he was the first Cardinals player to hit .300 with 20 homers and 20 steals in a season.) So when it's all said and done, when I'm done playing, it's something I can truly relish.''

Also rewarding is that he's able to contribute while feeling bad at the plate.

"I don't even feel really good at the plate, but I'm just trying to compete,'' he said. "That's really what it comes down to. So it's good to get on base when things aren't really feeling your way because when I'm feeling good, I can only imagine what's going to happen.''

Pham's streak is the longest in the majors since Houston's Alex Bregman reached in 42 straight last season. That's halfway to the major-league record of 84 set by Ted Williams in 1949.

Since being acquired by the Rays on July 31, Pham has reached base in 46 of 48 games.

Take that, Longo

Giants third baseman Evan Longoria was hitless for the second straight day against his former Rays team but only because of an impressive running catch by centerfielder Kevin Kiermaier to rob him of extra bases on a drive to the left of center. Kiermaier said he noticed Longoria taking "some healthy hacks" and moved from the usual shade toward right-center back to the middle and deeper.

"I used my judgment right there to try to play where I thought Longo was going to hit it, and it worked out perfectly,'' Kiermaier said. "I'm sure he wanted to see that one fall. … Had to let him know I can still run them down a little bit. I'm sure he wasn't too thrilled with me.''

Longoria is 0-for-9 thus far in the series.

Miscellany

• Much like a week ago today, the Rays eschewed plans for using an opener Sunday based on the state of their bullpen and are giving Yonny Chirinos a traditional start. They'll hope for similar results as when he threw seven strong and beat the Astros.

• Saturday was the first time the Giants scored before the fourth inning this season and the first time more than five runs. They halted the Rays franchise-best streak of seven consecutive games allowing two or fewer runs.

• Pham headed to Oakland after Friday's game to meet Warriors star guard Stephen Curry, who shares the same eye condition, keratoconus, as the Rays outfielder. But Pham got delayed in traffic and missed the planned pregame session.

Quote of the day

"Today was a perfect reason why I could never be a manager. I'm so lost. Double switches — I don't know where guys hit. Whatever. I'm a player.''

— Kiermaier, on playing under National League rules

Share:

0 comentários:

Postar um comentário

News

Pesquisar este blog

Arquivo do blog

Blog Archive